VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Gaming > PC Gaming

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Default Infinity Ward Puts Foot Down, Final Word

Advertisement

- story from http://www.gamersnexus.net/component...down-last-word
Quote:
Here's a summary of the Infinity Ward Dedicated Servers Saga - Modern Warfare site BashandSlash had an interview with FourZeroTwo, who stated there would be no dedicated servers or mod tools in Modern Warfare 2 for the PC version, only matchmaking. The gamers then responded by petitioning all over the IW forums and on separate petition sites. Boycotts errupted, and without any official numbers, it is fair to say that the comments read from other posts state clearly the intention of many gamers - cancel pre-orders. Infinity Ward retaliated to the assaulted by deleting the two largest threads petitioning and boycotting their game. Yesterday, a private message from FourZeroTwo on Twitter was leaked, stating: "Definitely made a big wave, and the response will not be ignored. I'll ensure everyone at IW sees the petitions and responses to it."

Now, several days after the initial news, Infinity Ward heads Vince Zampella and Jason West issued an official response, and things don't look good. Jason said, "We're just prioritizing the player experience above the modders and the tuners," indicating the PC fans who avoided the game due to cheaters, tight rules on servers, and skill level differences. "We thought maybe it would be cool if the fans could play the game."

The IW heads said noted several times that "hardcore PC gamers" will not lose much in this transition, ensuring that the change helps the casual and moderate fanbase. Jason makes clear that groups can still establish private matches and training under the new system, though he fails to recognize the substantial impact that ProMod and other mods have made, stating that those will cease to exist in the new version.

When GameInformer asked Zampella about piracy and its impact, he cited, "The Steam stuff helps with the piracy. I don't know that the matchmaking stuff does." West acknowledged that some of the reason for owning dedicated servers is to rent them out and sell adspace on them, funding clans and companies: "It's a little dubious. Some of the people complaining are complaining with their pocketbook."

West says that there will be no compromise to include both dedicated servers and the new system, saying it would "just bifurcate the community."
well then...

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 09:29 PM

Well, this is pretty much going to cancel my purchase for the game. We'll see if they decide to take a smarter route later on after it's released, but for now, I'll be saving myself $50.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM

how low can they go...
seriosuly...
i really hope they know what they are doing.
if this matchmaaking thing doesnt work out, i am hate mailing infinity ward till i die. or at least until the next Cod
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

ehhhh, i will not be picking this up.

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 PM

same here
i play cod4 promod and play in leagues

i was really hoping they would change it i guess more cod4 and cod5 it is
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

You can still make Privat matches and invite clans or just train with your clan on server.
I just read Fourzerotwo's blog post where it explains a lot and to be honest, after reading this I think it's all ok and it might be even better then before. http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

Sad news.. Looks like no MW2 for me.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM

This is sad. I wonder how many PC copies of this will now be sold. Unless this new system is good.

No doubt the Console ones will be way on top.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM

Was kinda looking forward to this, shame, ahwell, should have expected it really.