VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > News, System Requirements, Deals, Trades, and Giveaways. > System Requirements

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyzeus11 View Post
i feel bad downloading that, i know its probobly safe, but you never know
it is safe, though those tests just account for the hardware you have...not taking into account how many resources you have dedicated to everything on your pc.

Thus providing somewhat inaccurate results if you want to play the game smoothly.

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Must I install steam to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Must I install Steam to play Modern Warfare 2? I would rather not. I am a Computer Security Analyst for a larger Federal agency. If you did not know when you install Steam you are essentially installing a rootkit on your PC. Steam and the Steam administrators own your system and at that point can look and see what you have installed on your computer and what files you are using at any given time. Also there are many cases of Steam delivered addons developed by the user community and shared through Steam infecting computers, stealing information and account passwords. If you look through the forums you will see that AVG, symmantec and others at times pick it up as a trojan. Many contribute this to a false positive. Technically it may be a false positive but it is because the way Steam is written and what it does, essentially rootkitting your system to keep track of what you do, all in the name of DRM. Anyway experiance tells me Steam is a bad thing. And I won't buy software that makes it's installation manditory.

If someone knows let me know. I don't want to buy it like I did Fear2 and not be able to install it.

Thanks...
Old 11-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Just buy it from retail then, no need to digitally install it. It's just more of a convenience since not only do you not have to go out and buy the game, but you don't have to worry about losing/damaging a CD or a Serial Key.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_driver View Post
Must I install Steam to play Modern Warfare 2? I would rather not. I am a Computer Security Analyst for a larger Federal agency. If you did not know when you install Steam you are essentially installing a rootkit on your PC. Steam and the Steam administrators own your system and at that point can look and see what you have installed on your computer and what files you are using at any given time. Also there are many cases of Steam delivered addons developed by the user community and shared through Steam infecting computers, stealing information and account passwords. If you look through the forums you will see that AVG, symmantec and others at times pick it up as a trojan. Many contribute this to a false positive. Technically it may be a false positive but it is because the way Steam is written and what it does, essentially rootkitting your system to keep track of what you do, all in the name of DRM. Anyway experiance tells me Steam is a bad thing. And I won't buy software that makes it's installation manditory.

If someone knows let me know. I don't want to buy it like I did Fear2 and not be able to install it.

Thanks...
yes, Modern Warfare 2 WILL require steam in order to install it.

Quote:
October 23, 2009 -- Activision Publishing, Inc. and Valve today announced an agreement to power the PC version of Infinity Ward's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, with a host of Steamworks features and offer the highly anticipated PC title electronically to the over 20 million Steam gamers around the world.

The highly anticipated title picks up immediately following the historic events of Call of Duty® 4: Modern Warfare®, the blockbuster that earned worldwide critical acclaim on its way to becoming the top selling first person action game in history. Modern Warfare 2 continues the gripping and heart-racing action as players face off against a new threat dedicated to bringing the world to the brink of collapse.

All PC versions of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be powered by Steamworks, providing gamers with auto-updating, anti-cheat technology, Steam Achievements, and the recently introduced Steam Cloud.

"Steamworks will make it possible for us to have a closer connection to our fans, and enable us to support our community much more than ever before," said Robert Bowling, creative strategist, Infinity Ward. "Steam is the hands down leader in offering a community focused experience on PC and the inclusion of Steamworks has allowed us to deliver the most feature-rich PC version to ever come from Infinity Ward, which at the end of the day will mean the most to our fans."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for PC will include 50 Steam Achievements, enticing players to train a local militia and be "Back in the Saddle" or infiltrate the snowy mountain side base and earn the "Cold Shoulder." Fans may access the game from any computer. And through Steam Cloud, multiplayer game progress will be stored persistently and travel with the player.

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 may be one of the biggest releases in video game history," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "Having a game as significant as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 using the suite of back-end services in Steamworks is a signal to us that we're making the right kinds of choices for triple-A developers like Infinity Ward."

Beginning today Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is also available for pre-purchase via Steam. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is slated for worldwide release the week of November 8 at retailers and via Steam. "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" is rated "M" (Mature - Blood, Drug Reference, Intense Violence and Language) by the ESRB.

Steamworks is a complete suite of publishing and development tools -- ranging from product key authentication to social networking services -- offered free of charge to publishers and developers.

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.

About Activision Publishing, Inc.
Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, Activision Publishing, Inc. is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment and leisure products.
Activision maintains operations in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Spain, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, Russia, Japan, South Korea, China and the region of Taiwan. More information about Activision and its products can be found on the company's website, www.activision.com.

© 2009 Activision Publishing, Inc. Activision, Call of Duty and Modern Warfare are registered trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/2986/

My Steam ID:

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM

My bad. lol xD Thanks for the update Jay.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyzeus11 View Post
if i have a radeon x1650
2gb ram

will i be able to run this? (thats pretty much all i know off my computer specs, if you need more info and would like to tell me how to find that info id be glad to find it out)
ey

i hav the same and, the menu doesnt work, i managed to get to the game, and worked fine. but the text doenst work
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

If steam is downloading MW2 from the steam servers, while you have the discs, then you should try the following:

if you already have Steam installed, you can install the game from disk by running this from an command prompt:

<yourSteamFolder>\Steam.exe -install "<yourDVDDrive>"

eg:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe -install "d:"
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 PM

cant wait to see if i win the giveaway
Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 AM

Default Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

MACBOOK PRO
BOOTCAMP THROUGH WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM/ULTIMATE 64
2.8GHZ CORE 2 DUO
4GIG ram DDR3 1066MHZ
9600GT M TUNED WITH RIVATUNER @1920X1080P
CPU overclock @ 3.6ghz

''Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 also work in factory settings and game settings in normal mode with 4x anti-aliasing wz no hiccups...

Last edited by FeLBOY415; 11-12-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeLBOY415 View Post
MACBOOK PRO
BOOTCAMP THROUGH WINDOWS 7 PREMIUM/ULTIMATE 64
2.8GHZ CORE 2 DUO
4GIG ram DDR3 1066MHZ
9600GT M TUNED WITH RIVATUNER @1920X1080P
CPU overclock @ 3.6ghz

''Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 also work in factory settings and game settings in normal mode with 4x anti-aliasing wz no hiccups...
Pretty damn good performance on a laptop.

Thanks for sharing

My Steam ID: