VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Gaming > PC Gaming

Notices

Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 AM

Default Open source gaming

Advertisement

Looking for video games you don't have to pay for, and are constantly under improvement? Looking for a game you yourself can help develop, then look here, as I'm about to list a nice sized list of open source video games for you to download and even develop for free!

This is part 1, Simulations:

1st: CSP or Combat Simulator Project
www.csp.sourceforge.net

This is the project I am working on, I am currently working on a major change to the project, however we are lacking the resources needed to really expand. Right now however the Mirage 2000 and the F-16DJ are flyable. The F-16DJ is a Block 50-52 F-16 D 2 seater. Further improvements down the road include Infantry combat, Armor combat, and new graphics improvements, along with new terrain. Easily one to keep an eye on with some of the new innovations that are being added.

2nd: Flightgear
www.flightgear.org

Flightgear is an open source flight simulator, while it has archaic graphics, that is quickly changing as shaders have recently been implmented in the CVS trunk. The CVS trunk is the latest development source code, and requires some development knowledge to compile. They do release executable builds for whenever they release a new stable build, however it's usually worth it to learn how to build the source yourself. It looks like MSFS 98, however with the way things are changing, it could easily look like MSFS 04 soon.

3rd: TORCS
http://torcs.sourceforge.net/

TORCS is an open source racing car simulator, and is developed as a very good option for racing. While I don't have MUCH experience with TORCS, it is said to be one of the best open source racers out there.

4th: Rigs of Rods
http://rigsofrods.com/

Rigs of Rods is a open source general vehicle simulator. If you can come up with the vehicle, odds are you can use it. It has a nice sized community with a lot of different types of vehicles. Overall, a very good option for someone who just wants to fool around with whatever vehicle you can think of.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 01:14 AM
Administrator

cool, I will check some of these out soon.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:13 AM

I can safely warn you this, while most of these have recent exe installers, some of them (especially CSP) need you to compile them from source. If you don't know how to compile from source, usually the wikis for the projects can tell you how.