VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Gaming > PC Gaming

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 AM

Default laptop video cards

Advertisement

I have an HP dv6, it has a strange video card to me, I'm somewhat unable to determine what kind it is, but control panel tells me the video card has 64MB of dedicated memory and 1.7GB shared.
I don't really understand what this means. I play Elder Scrolls Oblivion fine, but I tried to play Need For Speed Shift and it did not work out very well.
I'm thinking about playing Borderlands.. It seems to require 128MB.. How well might this run?
To me I guess I don't really understand the difference of dedicated and shared. Seein as it has shared memory, why doesn't NFS Shift work, and Oblivion looks great and runs fine on full performance and my widescreen and full resolution?

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Administrator

Hey there insayne, it sounds like you have an integrated graphics solution. With an integrated shared solution, it is very difficult to play the latest games well since they are usually not developed with gaming in mind.

What operating system are you running? You are usually able to find out what kind of graphic card you have by going into your device manager. If you need assistance getting there, let me know and I will take screenshots.

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 AM

I'm running Windows 7. In Performance Information it says my graphics card is "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" so I'm assuming it's just part of the motherboard..
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsayneWrapper View Post
I'm running Windows 7. In Performance Information it says my graphics card is "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" so I'm assuming it's just part of the motherboard..
oh yeah dude, that is definitely not going to handle a game like Need for Speed Shift or Borderlands. Sorry, have you tried Left 4 Dead? I think that might run it...I have heard success stories of people running Left 4 Dead on their MacBooks with integrated solutions.

Intel used to have a compatibility checker on their website, I will try to dig that up now to see if they still offer that.

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:08 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to marksman_sniper

My laptop runs L4D, would it be able to run L4D2?

Specs:
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS
gonna be upgraded to 2 GB Ram memory DDRM2
Intel Centrino Duo 2.0 GHz (could I upgrade it as well?)
Everybody must get stoned! - Bob Dylan
Keep Walking -Johnnie Walker
Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman_sniper View Post
My laptop runs L4D, would it be able to run L4D2?

Specs:
Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS
gonna be upgraded to 2 GB Ram memory DDRM2
Intel Centrino Duo 2.0 GHz (could I upgrade it as well?)
You should be able to run it, L4D2 requires at least a Nvidia 6600.
So the 8600 should be better, though it's a laptop model you've got.
My guess is that you won't be able to run it high/very high, but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine at medium.

You can always check the performance of your PC for Left 4 Dead 2 ( for example here http://www.yougamers.com/gameometer/10364/ ).
That site recommends an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz, but your 2.0 should be able to run it good enough.
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 11-27-2009, 01:43 PM

It's a source game, you should be fine. Don't expect to be running it at the highest settings though. Try similar to what you've got on L4D and if it's slow/laggy then put them down a bit.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:26 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to marksman_sniper

Phew, I've been able to run all source games( and L4D) on highest but not on highest with anti-aliazing, I always seem to skip that and the performance is still great
If not, my dad said that maybe buying a new laptop is cheaper than repairing it so I might give away my german keyboard and super big laptop screen for some other laptop. My laptops' screen is like 18 inch or something like that Great for seeing zombies' Blood sticking to it, though that effect was lost in L4D for me because it's the cut version that I have

I just realized now that EST time is like behind my time right now, I always thought that it was a day in front of Asian time or something. I currently live in Cambodia, could somebody find the time difference between EST and this place? Bangkok should do if you wanna measure that against EST.
Everybody must get stoned! - Bob Dylan
Keep Walking -Johnnie Walker
Old 11-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman_sniper View Post
Phew, I've been able to run all source games( and L4D) on highest but not on highest with anti-aliazing, I always seem to skip that and the performance is still great
If not, my dad said that maybe buying a new laptop is cheaper than repairing it so I might give away my german keyboard and super big laptop screen for some other laptop. My laptops' screen is like 18 inch or something like that Great for seeing zombies' Blood sticking to it, though that effect was lost in L4D for me because it's the cut version that I have

I just realized now that EST time is like behind my time right now, I always thought that it was a day in front of Asian time or something. I currently live in Cambodia, could somebody find the time difference between EST and this place? Bangkok should do if you wanna measure that against EST.
It cost more to repair then buy a new one. So just buy a new one
Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 PM

I suggest buying a desktop instead, for the same price you can get a faster rig.

Although if you want/need the mobility and size of the laptop, buy a new one.