VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Off-Topic > It's all Politics & Religion

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 PM

I'm agnotisic as well. I try to keep open minded and cool headed over religion, minding what other people think even though I feel they are wrong.

I've only had one religious friend try to convert me, and that was to Christianity (kinda funny, cause he had just been brought over to it after claiming he was an Athiest). He converted cause he was having a tough life and the community supplied by going to his church helped him through that, and since I had something bad happen to me he thinks I should go to. I said no multiple times, and I almost got to a point that would have been painfully rude towards his beliefs. I will tolerate others religious views as long as they can respect my views as well. I've always thought that that cardinal rule of religious respect for others should work both ways.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescroll View Post
I'm agnotisic as well. I try to keep open minded and cool headed over religion, minding what other people think even though I feel they are wrong.

I've only had one religious friend try to convert me, and that was to Christianity (kinda funny, cause he had just been brought over to it after claiming he was an Athiest). He converted cause he was having a tough life and the community supplied by going to his church helped him through that, and since I had something bad happen to me he thinks I should go to. I said no multiple times, and I almost got to a point that would have been painfully rude towards his beliefs. I will tolerate others religious views as long as they can respect my views as well. I've always thought that that cardinal rule of religious respect for others should work both ways.
Couldn't agree more.

I'd consider myself to be agnostic as well. For the longest time I always believed I was an Atheist, until I truly sat down to consider a lot of different things. One factor easily helped me "look outside the box." When I look at it, I see one amazing thing, Existence. "Life," is always the pinnacle of what's brought up in religious debates, but I think the word "Existence" is a far more ethical choice to focus beliefs. Regardless of the fact that animate objects are in itself, Life, I believe there is far more to it. Now this is all obvious, I know, but existence itself is one miraculous phenomenon. Planets, stars, light, air, gravity, grass, black holes, supernovas, humans, animals, bacteria etc etc. Simply because we have the capability to breathe, communicate and think, makes us no better than anything else that exists. As has been stated before, there is no physical evidence linking creation to a single god, many gods or supreme beings. Likewise, there isn't any stating that they do not exist. When you try and fathom the possibility of how endless this universe is, and how complex lifeforms and inanimate objects can be, it's hard not to think it was created by someone.

I find it quite difficult to believe that "it just happened," but at the same time, I find it just as hard to believe that there is an individual ruling all under his name. It's a lot easier to believe we were created by someone, as it gives an inner sense of hope for a chance at life after death, or possibly multiple lives. With this, I believe some forms of religion exploit that. When you bring in the fact that the creator(s) have rules and regulations, I find that to be quite cruel. No individual on this planet, or in "existance" is any higher up than anyone else. Thus, our equality far overrules this set of "rules." We are all blessed by being alive in the same time (period) with no real explanation as to why, or how. Some say it's luck, but I see it as a privilege.

I respect other's opinions, and I ask that mine be respected as well. I am not bad mouthing anyone's beliefs, nor trying to belittle them. This is simply my point of view. As long as it isn't enforced upon me, I will respect it 100%, and the same goes for myself. I would never try to impose my beliefs over anyone else. I simply state this, to possibly give more of a look into the subject. The same as when I read or hear about this as well.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:14 AM

I've never really understood religion, to me it just seems weird.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1992 View Post
I've never really understood religion, to me it just seems weird.
So I'm guessing you're more agnostic then.
As I said before I'm an atheist. I don't believe there's anything superior, who lives somewhere above us, that has created the world, us ... everything.
There are so many scientific facts that prove so much.

Religion has also caused many wars, all around the world. They think their God wants/wanted them to do that.
All because it's written in a big book ...
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806

Last edited by Mutte; 10-11-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Coodoo1134

To Catholics, God isn't a belief, He is the the truth. They're not supposed to say, "I think he exists;" they say "I know He exists." Which is why arguing against these beliefs is impossible. They believe in the something that cannot be proven or disproven.

As for the Bible, there are many different ways to interpret it. But in the end, what if it is just the world's best selling book? Even if the Bible was based on truth, there are millions of different ways to explain it.

In my opinion, it's way better to see the stories from the Bible applying to real life situations. In other words, I'm glad I was raised to be a Catholic. It's made me a better person; it's part of who I am. But as I've gotten older, the idea of religion makes less and less sense. Tolerance makes more sense in the sense that we must coexist to exist. So I agree with DeatH when he says he can respect another religion as long as he is not imposed on. But here's my take on that: The ends do not justify the means, but the end is what counts. The relationship of our different cultures becomes mutual when we follow an almost universal rule: as long as we do not harm others, we can believe in whatever we want.

Sooo, whether or not God exists does not matter to me. Life's too short to think about something so literally out of this world. If He exists, how can we be so arrogant to know what He wanted us to do. If there is a God, i'm sure He'd understand what I'm thinking. After all, this is the way He made me.

Last edited by Coodoo1134; 10-11-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutte View Post
So I'm guessing you're more agnostic then.
I guess so, not 100% sure what Agnostic is, but i guess its to describe someone like me.

I did once have a christian phase i guess you could call it, but i kinda lost faith, because my Great Nan, and Grandfather died from cancer, along with my Uncle dying in his sleep, my Auntie having a heart attack, all in the space of a year or so, was crazy, so i kinda fell away, i think i went because it kept me occupied and it gave me awnsers, but as i said, i fell away from it once all the death started happening. (Wish it would stop already. _)

Funny that i used to go, but never understood it, strange that, and also people say to me, "you don't belive in god do you?" My reply is. "I do belive in him, i just hate him." (Please don't flame me for that.)

I know they say god works in mysterious ways, but its just something i can't belive, or atleast anymore, who knows, maybe i will be proved wrong one day?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1992 View Post
I guess so, not 100% sure what Agnostic is, but i guess its to describe someone like me.

im pretty sure agnostic is you dont believe in god, but you respect the fact that there may be a god
Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyzeus11 View Post
im pretty sure agnostic is you dont believe in god, but you respect the fact that there may be a god
That may actually be me then.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
I think a problem in society these days is that a lot of people don't really know what atheism is. Correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect what most of you "atheists" actually are is an agnostic.

Atheism is the frim belief that there is/are no god(s), supreme being(s) or any kind of creator or whatever. Every so often an article will crop up featuring atheists getting very visibly annoyed at religious types and vice versa. In my opinion, going full out atheist is being as close minded as they often make out religious people to be because the problem with religions is that while there is no proof that "God" exists (or whatever deity said religion follows), there is no concrete proof that he/she/it/they don't exist. This leads me onto the next group of people: Agnostics.

I am agnostic myself, what being an agnostic means is that although I don't believe in a religion/deity, I'm not going to go and say "There is definitely no god whatsoever". This leaves me fairly open minded where religion is concerned. Should something happen in the future that makes me wonder if there is a god/confirms to me that there is then I am free to follow a religion/believe in a god without compromising my prior beliefs. If I were an Atheist and such an event happened, I would however be going against things I had been saying for many years.

TL: DR? A lot of people say they're Atheist without knowing the true definition of the word.
well... I do think that there are people like that.. I'd say Richard Dawkins would probably be one of them, lol. Not saying he's dumb or anything, but he obviously hates the idea of any God so much that he'll do anything to prove not only to himself but to others that God isn't real. Even if he were standing in front of him, he'd be shutting his eyes and covering his ears singing, "lalalalalala! Anybody who says God's right in front of me is a wacko nutcase who would be better off dead!"

*shrugs* nothing like that has ever happened, but I could see it happening. Some people just feel that strongly against religion.

Personally, I'm a christian. Yes, I know. Typical christian post. You probably guessed it in the first sentence, lol.

But, hey, at least I'm not babbling on like an idiot about how stupid you are for being atheist. =P
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 PM

I don't mean to be offending anybody here, but I personally think it's hard for someone to accept the christian faith on so little when it asks them to give up so much. You see a lot of people say this same thing very offensively. Such as, "They walk after their own lusts"... but it's true. People need to understand that it takes more than a simple argument and name calling to convert someone. In fact, you're only going to push somebody away from the faith because they're gonna think of how much of an asshole you were when they think of the faith. (yes, I'm talking to anybody who's over-reacted in an argument.)