VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Off-Topic > General Forum

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Location: Somewhere to your left, hiding behind the furniture
Exclamation An Over Protective System... DRM

Advertisement

A currently running thread got my attention at mentioning a specific type od DRM, Starforce. The reason I remember this one over top of the others is because this one causes me nothing but problems. I have missed out on several good games because of DRM, the best part of the story is that I had the original games with original keys. Two examples of over protected DRM or just pain in the neck programming are, Prince Of Persia and Halo 2 for PC.

If you read up on Starforce you will find that it is not compatible with certain IDE controller setups. Mine for example, Is this exact type of setup. It looks into your hardware and finds out if you have a certain IDE setup and refuses to boot/install the game.

On the other hand, I had received Halo 2 for PC as a gift. Since this game says "for windows vista" I thought I still might be able to play it (I was still running XP as the time) The only way to play this game was to make an ISO and edit certain parts of the game before install. I attempted this and sadly failed. after almost a week of research and trial and error, I just sold the game.

Does anyone else have storied like this? DRM is good in most scenarios. Sometimes the honest gamer really gets let down in the worst ways.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2009, 03:35 PM

I don't like that many games ship with their own 'community' things nowadays. Rockstar has their social club, EA their download manager. I'm allergic to large systrays and things that seem to hog up resources for no reason.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:40 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to marksman_sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saike View Post
I don't like that many games ship with their own 'community' things nowadays. Rockstar has their social club, EA their download manager. I'm allergic to large systrays and things that seem to hog up resources for no reason.
You're right, I don't like Windows LIVE or the Social Club thing as well.
The only true and good thing is Steam, I think the other companies copied Valve(and Steam?).
Everybody must get stoned! - Bob Dylan
Keep Walking -Johnnie Walker