VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Gaming > Mobile Gaming

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Default No UMD conversion for PSP Go

Advertisement

DAMN! This sucks man, maybe this is the reason the other model of the PSP is sticking around?

Quote:
[UPDATE] Previously purchased disc-based games won’t be playable on Sony’s new handheld due to "legal and technical reasons"; no PSP Go Rewards program in NA.

Existing PSP owners hoping to pick up a PSP Go and transfer their existing UMD games to the handheld are going to be out of luck--Sony Computer Entertainment Europe and Sony Computer Entertainment America have confirmed that there will be no way to transfer existing UMD purchases to the new download-only PSP Go.

"We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time," a Sony representative told GameSpot.

Sony's decision stands in marked contrast to sentiments expressed by Sony Computer Entertainment America hardware marketing director John Koller in June. Upon the PSP Go's unveiling at the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Koller stated that Sony was putting together a "goodwill program" that would allow UMD owners to download games they already own on the PSP Go.

The £224 ($249) PSP Go lacks the UMD drive from previous versions, relying solely on digital downloads to purchase games. The system comes with 16GB of internal memory to store games, which can be expanded via Sony's proprietary M2 memory cards.

Yesterday, SCEE announced its PSP Go Rewards scheme, which will allow current PSP owners to claim three free games, provided they own at least one UMD. However, the selection of games is limited to just 17 titles, which include Killzone: Liberation, Wipeout Pure, and Everybody's Golf. The scheme will launch alongside the console on October 1 and will run until March 31, 2010.

[UPDATE] SCEA also confirmed for GameSpot today that it has no plans to extend the PSP Go Rewards program to US consumers. "SCEA will not offer a UMD rewards program at this time," a Sony representative said.
SOURCE: http://tgs.gamespot.com/story/623041...ion-for-psp-go

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 01:58 AM

Sony keeps pulling features... the only reason I would ever buy a PS3 anymore is MGS.... other than that, they are gonna have to fix their issues and put back reverse compatibility before I consider buying their stuff again.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:41 PM

It is a fairly smart tactic I must say. Although legal issues prevent them from supplying a converter, it still brings in more money for them, and @ wraith, the reason they had removed backwards compatability from the PS3 was because of the PS2s awkward bandwidth flow. It sends pretty strange volumes of data during the emulation process, putting a negative strain on the PS3 hardware itself. Even high-end computers with technology greater than the PS3s, that run PS2 emulators have trouble keeping a decent framerate from it.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath77 View Post
It is a fairly smart tactic I must say. Although legal issues prevent them from supplying a converter, it still brings in more money for them, and @ wraith, the reason they had removed backwards compatability from the PS3 was because of the PS2s awkward bandwidth flow. It sends pretty strange volumes of data during the emulation process, putting a negative strain on the PS3 hardware itself. Even high-end computers with technology greater than the PS3s, that run PS2 emulators have trouble keeping a decent framerate from it.
I gotta find some good PS2 emulators then, I would love to play the MGS games.... (MGS is the only one I would play from the Playstation games... everything else is on PC.)
Old 10-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Ugh, that sucks. I was thinking of getting a PSP Go but i guess not anymore.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Pretty smart from the companies view, retarded for ours. It probably all came from where people were ripping dvds and such to the go stick xD oh piracy is so funny!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Damn lol, I guess I wont be getting pspGO
Old 11-26-2009, 12:31 AM

Hi There!
Im new in this site!
Sony's decision stands in marked contrast to sentiments expressed by Sony Computer Entertainment America hardware marketing director John Koller in June. Upon the PSP Go's unveiling at the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Koller stated that Sony was putting together a "goodwill program" that would allow UMD owners to download games they already own on the PSP Go.
Keep on posting!
Thanks!...
Good Luck!...
Old 11-27-2009, 02:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to marksman_sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannette View Post
Hi There!
Im new in this site!
Keep on posting!
Thanks!...
Good Luck!...
Hey there!
Welcome to the Forums and enjoy!
Everybody must get stoned! - Bob Dylan
Keep Walking -Johnnie Walker
Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 AM

People that have old UMD games can't use them if they get a PSP Go, so they won't be getting a PSP Go. Some people like to use UMD and the PSP Go won't be a good choice for them.