VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > News, System Requirements, Deals, Trades, and Giveaways. > System Requirements

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Advertisement

I was thinking of getting this:
ATI HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card OEM
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176938

Trying to get a Sapphire one. I want the ones that runs DX11 as I be upgrading my OS to Windows 7 when I can. I currently have XP SP3.

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 09:29 PM

I have a pre-unibody White macbook with an NTFS partition running xp pro sp3.
T7500 C2Duo 2.2ghz 800mhz FSB 4mb L3 Cache
4g ram
X3100 graphics

I Can run and play DA:Origins but it is very slow. I am looking to maximize my performance and minimize game graphics. I would like to know how to set up my Mobile Intel GMA and what settings to run DA:O at. Specifics please because I want to make sure the game will run at its fastest (despite being really slow) because it is an awesome game.

I thank everyone and anyone with any advice because I understand how low end the system is and how demanding the game is. I will buy another computer later on that will be much better suited for this but have started playing the game and can't stop!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclane427 View Post
I have a pre-unibody White macbook with an NTFS partition running xp pro sp3.
T7500 C2Duo 2.2ghz 800mhz FSB 4mb L3 Cache
4g ram
X3100 graphics

I Can run and play DA:Origins but it is very slow. I am looking to maximize my performance and minimize game graphics. I would like to know how to set up my Mobile Intel GMA and what settings to run DA:O at. Specifics please because I want to make sure the game will run at its fastest (despite being really slow) because it is an awesome game.

I thank everyone and anyone with any advice because I understand how low end the system is and how demanding the game is. I will buy another computer later on that will be much better suited for this but have started playing the game and can't stop!
hey there, at what resolution are you playing Dragon Age? Lowest Resolution possible?

I am actually rather shocked it even runs on the white unibody MacBook!

That is encouraging news, waiting on your response to go forward

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

well, before you even respond. what do you have running in the background? I am assuming that you are booting into Windows XP natively. Are you comfortable with editing the startup items?

My Steam ID:

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 PM

800 x 600 with low graphics detail, anti aliasing off, texture detail low, full screen mode (4:3), vertical sync,frame-buffer effects

I am quite amazed myself. I got the game from my brother and wanted to do all I could to run it. I don't like to give up. Very quick reply and thank you.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator

I am not sure how comfortable you are with windows, I am assuming you are primarily a mac user.

well, here is some video footage on Dragon Age running with the same graphics solution you have on your macbook.

Does it run like this? I assume it runs a bit smoother since Windows XP has a smaller footprint than Windows 7 and you have 2GB more ram than the video uploader does. Also, what programs do you have running in the background? a quick Ctrl+Alt+Delete should give you an idea what is eating up your memory in the "processes tab".

If you go into Msconfig, you can check what programs you have starting up with the machine...I would try disabling anti-virus software as those usually eat up memory.

My Steam ID:

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM

yes I am, I am only using the partition to run this game currently. I am only running the game when i play, no other programs to my knowledge are running. no anti-virus program Firewall and automatic updates are turned on and wireless network is connected.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

you might get a significant boost by editing the config file and setting it to run at 640x480 in windowed mode.

Tho I would not recommend that, it is an option.

the config file should be called "dragonage.ini" and set these settings:
Quote:
ResolutionWidth=640
ResolutionHeight=480
FullScreen=0
let us know if you try it.

My Steam ID:

Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 PM

I used to assemble my pcs (all windows based desktops) but it has been quite some time. The all had dedicated graphics so I am not used to tweeking every bit i can out of them. last rpg was Baldurs Gate 2. the video posted loads the same as my system however runs smoother during play. character movement is laggy.

under process there doesnt seem to be much:
infocard.exe mem usage of 13,104k
taskmgr.exe of course
wscntfy.exe
alg.exe
iexplore.exe
ipodservice.exe
mscorsvw.exe
svchost.exe mem usage 21992k
spoolsv.exe
ituneshelper.exe
RTHDCPL.exe

not very familiar with the processes but I have a feeling that ipod,itunes, and iexplore could be ended
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclane427 View Post
I used to assemble my pcs (all windows based desktops) but it has been quite some time. The all had dedicated graphics so I am not used to tweeking every bit i can out of them. last rpg was Baldurs Gate 2. the video posted loads the same as my system however runs smoother during play. character movement is laggy.

under process there doesnt seem to be much:
infocard.exe mem usage of 13,104k
taskmgr.exe of course
wscntfy.exe
alg.exe
iexplore.exe
ipodservice.exe
mscorsvw.exe
svchost.exe mem usage 21992k
spoolsv.exe
ituneshelper.exe
RTHDCPL.exe

not very familiar with the processes but I have a feeling that ipod,itunes, and iexplore could be ended
yeah it looks like you are running xp with the absolute minimum. I assume you close iTunes and Internet Explorer while playing.

From what I remember ituneshelper.exe and ipodservice.exe just restart themselves automatically after trying to shut them down, there might not be a workaround behind that...besides of course uninstalling iTunes and everything associated with it.

I think running it at 640x480 is the only other option...if you try that I would love to see how it worked out for you in Windowed Mode.

My Steam ID: