Notices

Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM

Advertisement

would that be considered spam? or just...."stupidity"

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutte View Post
Musicworld1 has been saying short and un-detailed things, so you could be right.
About the 9400GT, that really is a very low end card ... you won't be able to run anything in the near future on high. Currently, with XP 32-bit or so, it'll most likely still run smooth enough.
I just built a complete PC with that card and mobo for less than 30 dollars. The system will be for a cousin she is 12 and will need it for school come September. I installed 50 games on there and they all ran fine on max settings.

Mind you I don't mess with retail games so you may be right but in the long term this PC will do movies, music and games for the selected target

Monitor: Acer AcerView F51 - 15" - Free after rebate - Was $20
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6600 Processor - 3.06GHz - $22 - May switch this out for another I have.
Motherboard: BIOSTAR G31D-M7 - $1.99
Video: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB - $1.99
Memory: 2 GB - Free had them already
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Blue 500 GB - Free with ThankYou Rewards
Operating System: Windows XP SP 3 and Linux Unbuntu with Wine - Free
Office Software: Openoffice 3.2 - Free

Total cost - $27.23

Now if she wants to upgrade from there on out as she learns more about PC gaming/computing then she will have a good head start.

PS - Forgot to mention the cash back was $15 not $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyzeus11 View Post
would that be considered spam? or just...."stupidity"
both!!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

I really don't understand how you get all that stuff for such a cheap price o_O
The processor seems really nice.
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutte View Post
I really don't understand how you get all that stuff for such a cheap price o_O
The processor seems really nice.
Pretty easy actually. For the online stuff I use www.Searchbots.net - It's already pre-programmed to look for certain things. This is how I find my 'free and legal PC games' and how I find deals on computer parts.

The other tactic I use are computer shows, newspapers and 'craiglist' (also done by Searchbot). I look for 'going out of business' sales. With computer shows I haggle and trade. I picked up that CPU from a store that was going out of business.

I also make it an issue to never pay full price for items that I consider to be a 'want.'
Old 10-09-2010, 08:05 PM

I'm not trying to start a flame war but the hate on the Xbox 360 here is terrible. Sure the PS3 has a lower fail rate (It's lower than the 360's, but still high) but it will fail on you as well. My Xbox 360 20 GB Pro Edition just recently RRoD on me, but I "fixed" it 10 minutes later and it worked for another week. My cousin had his ps3 for a much shorter time period than I had my 360 but his still failed before mine (YLOD). Even though the fail rate of the Xbox 360 is high, it has the best warranty in the business, HANDS DOWN. Nothing competes with it. My cousin had to pay $150 to trade his dead PS3 for a refurb. The only reason I couldn't send in my 360 is because me, being as stupid as I am, forgot the LIVE ID and password for the account I used when I first got the 360. I had switched accounts and completely forgot about the old one. So for security reasons, I couldn't get my account info from MS. But don't assume me as a fanboy, I love the PS3, 360 and Wii equally, they all have their cons and pros, but to talk down on one and praise the other like this is just a terrible fanboy thing to do. Oh and btw, the new 360's have had red lights on the power bricks, it's a simple fix, you unplug it and plug it back in and the red light is gone. The new 360's are superior to the old in many ways.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:56 PM

^ No need to get emotional about your console.

In the end the OP can do what he likes but PC gaming is cheaper, PC parts/builds are more affordable and last longer. That's not an opinion it's fact. I don't have to pay anything to get coverage for my part for 2 to 3 years.

Consoles. You pay more. You will get less. Always.

-----

This thread was brought back to life over digital tears. Keep dreaming in Opengl people!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM

i never did get an Xbox.
i built a PC and im not regretting it. except for the hole in my wallet
Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megazell View Post
^ No need to get emotional about your console.

In the end the OP can do what he likes but PC gaming is cheaper, PC parts/builds are more affordable and last longer. That's not an opinion it's fact. I don't have to pay anything to get coverage for my part for 2 to 3 years.

Consoles. You pay more. You will get less. Always.

-----

This thread was brought back to life over digital tears. Keep dreaming in Opengl people!

Are you stealing your parts? To make a gaming computer it'll cost $400 for a minimal computer, then if you want to run a high-end game like let's say Just Cause 2... You'll need to spend near $1000, and parts run up quickly. I live in Iowa so those parts are cheep here. (Iowa is one of the most inexpensive states in the US)

Console, you buy it once, if you take care of it you'll never have problems. I have a 2007 360, and it doesn't even overheat. Games cost the same, unless you're going through steam and you MIGHT have some good discounts. But that's Steam.

Considering that you can buy all the consoles for the price it costs to make a descent gaming computer doesn't say much. Yeah maybe if you don't pay for games and you only pay free games, but that's not everyone, that's you.

Spoiler
Old 10-11-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
Are you stealing your parts? To make a gaming computer it'll cost $400 for a minimal computer, then if you want to run a high-end game like let's say Just Cause 2... You'll need to spend near $1000, and parts run up quickly. I live in Iowa so those parts are cheep here. (Iowa is one of the most inexpensive states in the US)

Console, you buy it once, if you take care of it you'll never have problems. I have a 2007 360, and it doesn't even overheat. Games cost the same, unless you're going through steam and you MIGHT have some good discounts. But that's Steam.

Considering that you can buy all the consoles for the price it costs to make a descent gaming computer doesn't say much. Yeah maybe if you don't pay for games and you only pay free games, but that's not everyone, that's you.
Not sure if you lying or playing some internet game. You can check my links and hit the guides that I make on the net. I get all of my parts legally and on the cheap. PC has always been cheap. If you pick up an issue of PCGamer they have guides and guidelines every month on how to build machines with NAMEBRAND parts for less. That's not including reward programs from banks and manufacture rebates.

NYCC just ran here in NYC and in the LAN arcade we had ppl that spent $400 to $800 on their rigs getting higher benchmark scores then those that spent $2k or more on their rigs.

The games I highlight are freeware but you can also get PC retail games for free using the above stated programs and rewards. Have fun on your consoles but don't come spreading lies about parts being expensive this is not 1992.

For example Citibank gave away free copies of L4D and L4D II (they also had a console version too but it was only for 1 game) for thankyou reward members (5000+ or more) and new card opener here in NYC.

---

Try this thread to get your PC building skills on the cheap up - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=226363

Last edited by Megazell; 10-11-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:48 PM

$4-800 still could buy all the systems for the max price, yes you can get free games, but in some cases it's not completely legal or secure.

But then again you can get a Free IPOD touch, by clicking an add.

And yes you can get anything discounted, not just computer stuff, I Bought a motorcycle for $50, completely legal, and sold it for $6400, after changing the fuel line.

Spoiler

Last edited by zeek; 10-14-2010 at 04:52 PM.