VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Gaming > PC Gaming

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Coodoo1134

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeatH View Post
What surprises me the most of all these people shouting "Expansion!" at L4D2 is all of the EA Sports/2k Sports titles. Sure, they may only be sports games, but there is a new one released every year with MINOR adjustments and changes. However, when these games are announced and released, they end up being some of the top sellers for months on end. Just take a look at Madden NFL '10 and Fifa '10. I don't see near as much complaining about these titles being more fit as DLC opposed to a full $60 sequel, and yet they still do incredibly well on the sales charts. Valve has a committed promise to keep L4D intact with updates and DLC, and they're doing just that.

What also surprises me though, are people whom have L4D2 preordered and still state it should be an expansion pack. If you truly believe this, then cancel your preorder and wait for the price to drop down to what YOU believe is fair. They're completely canceling out their statements by preordering the game.

IMO, pre-order a game you are hyped about. If you're not hyped about it, then you will more likely than not, be disappointed when the game is released. Wait for a lower price and snag something you truly are anxious for. Otherwise, it's almost a guaranteed waste of time.
They're changing the gameplay for people who preorder. Doesn't that bother you a little?

And I didn't expect Left 4 Dead to do what Madden NFL '10 and Fifa '10 did. As for updates and DLC, this was to be expected whether or not L4D2 came out. They've made promises that don't mean a thing.

I wish I could just pay for it, but maybe I'll just wait for L4D3 to come out in about a year.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coodoo1134 View Post
They're changing the gameplay for people who preorder. Doesn't that bother you a little?

And I didn't expect Left 4 Dead to do what Madden NFL '10 and Fifa '10 did. As for updates and DLC, this was to be expected whether or not L4D2 came out. They've made promises that don't mean a thing.

I wish I could just pay for it, but maybe I'll just wait for L4D3 to come out in about a year.
Well for one, I'd like to know how the gameplay will be changed for preorders, unless of course you're talking about the baseball bat. In that case, everyone playing in a match with someone who has it, get's the weapon. Aside from that, I'm curious as to what advantage the preorder has. Gamestop, EBGames, Best Buy etc have all been doing preorder specials, so this is really no different in that case.

I don't see how L4D2 is following Madden or Fifa in any way at all, besides being released within a year. The majority of hardcore L4D players I have met don't play much anymore, albeit there is still a great fanbase. I'd really like to know what most game's sequels do so groundbreaking when they wait an extra year to release. Valve's promises have never meant anything, remember? They only have one of the largest fan/community bases.

To your last statement, that's the first argument that makes sense in this Anti-L4D2 campaign. If people are that concerned, they'll have no problem waiting extra time for what they believe to be a "true" sequel. If there's any problem to them, they're contradicting every relevant point they address in bashing L4D2.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:11 AM

baseball bat really isnt anything basically a skin
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to Coodoo1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeatH View Post
Well for one, I'd like to know how the gameplay will be changed for preorders, unless of course you're talking about the baseball bat. In that case, everyone playing in a match with someone who has it, get's the weapon. Aside from that, I'm curious as to what advantage the preorder has. Gamestop, EBGames, Best Buy etc have all been doing preorder specials, so this is really no different in that case.

I don't see how L4D2 is following Madden or Fifa in any way at all, besides being released within a year. The majority of hardcore L4D players I have met don't play much anymore, albeit there is still a great fanbase. I'd really like to know what most game's sequels do so groundbreaking when they wait an extra year to release. Valve's promises have never meant anything, remember? They only have one of the largest fan/community bases.

To your last statement, that's the first argument that makes sense in this Anti-L4D2 campaign. If people are that concerned, they'll have no problem waiting extra time for what they believe to be a "true" sequel. If there's any problem to them, they're contradicting every relevant point they address in bashing L4D2.
People who have the baseball bat will always have the baseball bat, whereas people who do not will not. Suddenly, people who preorder are special, and there are a lot of people who would preorder to have something that other people do not. Sales go up, and the number of people playing the original go down.

Just remember Team Fortress 2. Could they have done something similar to Left 4 Dead? Didn't they promise that kind of support: constantly adding new classes, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics? The comparison between the two is just disappointing, but I guess this wasn't what they were aiming for in the end.

YOU related L4D to "the EA Sports/2k Sports titles," and you were right to say that those games didn't recieve as many complaints. I didn't see Left 4 Dead 2 coming as I would've expected EA Sports to do though. Surprise!

Finally, that last comment I made was sarcasm. You can't make an argument for something that doesn't exist.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 AM

People also need to bare in mind that Left 4 Dead was the first game of it's kind. There are fundamental issues with the version of source that it runs on that at this juncture it's fair to say Valve aren't able to fix without re-writing the code that it runs on. Hence, Left 4 Dead 2. Expect better performance, better visuals and better gameplay. I don't remember Valve ever promising heaps of new content for L4D (if you have a link to a blog post or whatever then feel free to show me) but rather, people assumed that's what they'd be getting after TF2 came out.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:15 AM

Definitely L4D2.

I never liked lags in multiplayer FPS games... Non dedicated servers = No no.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

I personally am going to buy both.
But if I really would have to chose between the two then I guess I would pick L4D2, because the melee weapons are totally awesome.
I've also became less disappointed about the dedicated servers anymore since I read Fourzerotwo's blog post which explained quite a lot about the matchmaking.
(http://www.fourzerotwo.com/?p=745)
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 10-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coodoo1134 View Post
People who have the baseball bat will always have the baseball bat, whereas people who do not will not. Suddenly, people who preorder are special, and there are a lot of people who would preorder to have something that other people do not. Sales go up, and the number of people playing the original go down.

Just remember Team Fortress 2. Could they have done something similar to Left 4 Dead? Didn't they promise that kind of support: constantly adding new classes, new weapons, and new gameplay mechanics? The comparison between the two is just disappointing, but I guess this wasn't what they were aiming for in the end.

YOU related L4D to "the EA Sports/2k Sports titles," and you were right to say that those games didn't recieve as many complaints. I didn't see Left 4 Dead 2 coming as I would've expected EA Sports to do though. Surprise!

Finally, that last comment I made was sarcasm. You can't make an argument for something that doesn't exist.
Well for one, the baseball bat is nothing but a reskin, so if it really bothers you that much, all I can say is I'm sorry. Your logic there is completely off. It partially makes sense, but to get riled up over a simple bat is rather taking it far, don't you think?

And actually, the only thing I related L4D2 to the EA/2k Sports games was the fact that L4D2 is being released within a year. Aside from that, there's no comparison. Valve hasn't made "minor" adjustments to L4D2, they've made copious amounts of changes. Whereas the new sports games being released are usually nothing but shiny graphics. There is no comparison between the 2, aside from the fact that I can guarantee no matter how many people won't buy L4D2, it will still sell incredibly well.

As far as the original L4D getting DLC, I really want to know where Valve stated that they will not release any of the above that you stated. I'd like a link, because as far as I know, they haven't said anything even remotely close to that. Everyone wants this DLC and they want it right now. Patience is a virtue, especially in the life of a gamer.

To your last statement, oh yeah it was sarcasm. Regardless, it still makes perfect sense. If you are going to bicker about the sequel, then this series is obviously not your bag. Don't complain, simply let it be and go buy something else. I don't have to have a 100% reworked game to experience the fun I did with L4D. To this day, Valve games are the only games I've ever accomplished more than 100 hours on, and I don't see L4D2 being any different.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:45 PM

People seem to be forgetting if someone that pre-ordered l4d2 enters a game with people that don't have it. Everyone will have it for that game. Unless I gone blind and it was mentioned. And is the bat really that important?

Out of these two games My vote goes to L4D2.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDok77 View Post
i kinda agree,
except just so you know its not supposed to have a storyline, its a multiplayer game. and you say you only played singleplayer mostly. thats like sitting on an empty cod4 server...
well not really, it shouldnt be meant to be a multiplayer game and it shold have a story. and its not really like sitting in an empty server, its more like playing a co-op game like army of two, by yourself with the ai

oh and the thing about sports games is dumb, people SHOULD complaign and make it dlc, but they dont, the last sports game i bought was a hockey game, and ive never bought one since then. because all they do basically is add some new features (SOME) and new players, but all the players looked and played the same on ps2..

Last edited by heyzeus11; 10-21-2009 at 05:25 PM.