VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > Gaming > PC Gaming

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM

Default L4D2/Mw2

Advertisement

Between these 2 games, i really cant decide whether im even excited at all for either. I L4D2 pre-ordered already, and MW2 im just going to go out and get on the 10th. But between L4D2 looking like just another expansion, and the lack of dedicated servers in MW2. Im confused
im wondering if i should cancel the pre order and wait or not, and about mw2...well ill probably get it either way for the single player.
anyway.
opinions on the whole l4d2 deal??

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 PM

Valve aren't a company to skimp when making a game. Sure, maybe they haven't fulfilled the amount of content the community expected for Left 4 Dead but there's not denying that it is (and was when it came out) a good game. I expect Left 4 Dead 2 to fulfill it's purpose as a sequel. The whole thing about it being an expansion? I don't really understand this. I think the definition of expansion has been warped a bit since the dawn of DLC. If Left 4 Dead 2 is an expansion then, going by the same logic, so is Bioshock 2, GTA 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas and 4. Valve aren't just adding a couple more levels with the same characters, they've created new characters, (I can't remember the exact number) new campaigns, weapons, enemies and various other features. I think the main turn off is that they've chosen a pariticularly unfortunate release date in that it is coming out almost exactly a year after the first one, this makes it look like a franchise, similar to the EA sports games. A franchise game, L4D2 is not. People are jumping the gun with L4D2. Sure, if it was Activision, EA, Ubisoft then maybe there wouldn't be the amount of work we'd like put into it but this is Valve. I think the gaming community will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Valve aren't a company to skimp when making a game. Sure, maybe they haven't fulfilled the amount of content the community expected for Left 4 Dead but there's not denying that it is (and was when it came out) a good game. I expect Left 4 Dead 2 to fulfill it's purpose as a sequel. The whole thing about it being an expansion? I don't really understand this. I think the definition of expansion has been warped a bit since the dawn of DLC. If Left 4 Dead 2 is an expansion then, going by the same logic, so is Bioshock 2, GTA 2, 3, Vice City, San Andreas and 4. Valve aren't just adding a couple more levels with the same characters, they've created new characters, (I can't remember the exact number) new campaigns, weapons, enemies and various other features. I think the main turn off is that they've chosen a pariticularly unfortunate release date in that it is coming out almost exactly a year after the first one, this makes it look like a franchise, similar to the EA sports games. A franchise game, L4D2 is not. People are jumping the gun with L4D2. Sure, if it was Activision, EA, Ubisoft then maybe there wouldn't be the amount of work we'd like put into it but this is Valve. I think the gaming community will be pleasantly surprised.
sure theyve added new characters and a few new features, but is that really worth the $50 price? think about what your getting, 5 new campaigns (i think) which could of easily been an expansion, melee weopons, a couple new infected. thats quite a bit, but I wouldnt buy it for 50 bucks waay to expensive.

L4D was good, but it wasnt that great. theres not much of a storyline like other games (gta's, hl2/ep1/ep2, etc) and the campaigns are about an hour. i dunno i just dont get a good feeling about l4d2 im definetly not buying it release date 30$ tops is what i will pay.

another l4d will probobly come out by then
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 PM

What surprises me the most of all these people shouting "Expansion!" at L4D2 is all of the EA Sports/2k Sports titles. Sure, they may only be sports games, but there is a new one released every year with MINOR adjustments and changes. However, when these games are announced and released, they end up being some of the top sellers for months on end. Just take a look at Madden NFL '10 and Fifa '10. I don't see near as much complaining about these titles being more fit as DLC opposed to a full $60 sequel, and yet they still do incredibly well on the sales charts. Valve has a committed promise to keep L4D intact with updates and DLC, and they're doing just that.

What also surprises me though, are people whom have L4D2 preordered and still state it should be an expansion pack. If you truly believe this, then cancel your preorder and wait for the price to drop down to what YOU believe is fair. They're completely canceling out their statements by preordering the game.

IMO, pre-order a game you are hyped about. If you're not hyped about it, then you will more likely than not, be disappointed when the game is released. Wait for a lower price and snag something you truly are anxious for. Otherwise, it's almost a guaranteed waste of time.

Last edited by DeatH; 10-20-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM

just wait a little bit after the release and you should be able to make a decision based on all the reviews
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

if MW2 has dedicated servers, that is my pick between the 2.

Dont get me wrong...I loved L4D, but Modern Warfare has been the best FPS out since it was released...2 years ago.

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyzeus11 View Post
sure theyve added new characters and a few new features, but is that really worth the $50 price? think about what your getting, 5 new campaigns (i think) which could of easily been an expansion, melee weopons, a couple new infected. thats quite a bit, but I wouldnt buy it for 50 bucks waay to expensive.

L4D was good, but it wasnt that great. theres not much of a storyline like other games (gta's, hl2/ep1/ep2, etc) and the campaigns are about an hour. i dunno i just dont get a good feeling about l4d2 im definetly not buying it release date 30$ tops is what i will pay.

another l4d will probobly come out by then
i kinda agree,
except just so you know its not supposed to have a storyline, its a multiplayer game. and you say you only played singleplayer mostly. thats like sitting on an empty cod4 server...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 AM

i say go with l4d2
has alot more this time around and hopefully alot more to be added
Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Administrator

L4D 2...IW just confirmed that Dedicated Servers are out.

Everything you need to know about Giveaways on VGRequirements

My Steam ID:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jayvgr

VGRequirements will NEVER ask you for your password to ANY website or service, if you get a private message asking you for one...let me know IMMEDIATELY. VGRequirements does NOT alert people if they have virus/spyware related issues. If you get any Private Message claiming we do, please do NOT click on any links in the private message and FORWARD the message to me IMMEDIATELY.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 AM

ya its a sad day in the Pc community
lets hope treyarch comes back and does it right