VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > News, System Requirements, Deals, Trades, and Giveaways. > Video Game Deals

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by saike View Post
Hate to be the bringer of bad news here but I've read somewhere that they sell keys from boxed sets, but that they sell them multiple times. They're not an authorized reseller, and buying games from them is entirely at your own risk. If you run into trouble you have no proof that the key you bought from them is legit.

As a word of warning, the developers of the game Blood Bowl already banned keys for their game that originated from g2play http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumB...php?f=4&t=3663. In this case, the keys originated from digital versions and not boxed sets.
Oh, well I didn't know that.
But my friend got Left 4 Dead from it, so it can't have multiple accounts for the same key.
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Well, I don't know how they do it. On steam, I noticed the admins strongly advise against it, because g2play is not an authorised reseller. Chances are everything will go smoothly and things will be fine. But it could also be that the key somehow becomes invalid and that you're without proof of purchase.

I'm not sure, but you might even risk your steam account alltogether. During a quick google I've read a lot about keys being blacklisted. Apparently they buy these in cheaper regions, and resell to the rest, thereby violating the EULA. There are also cases where it seems like they're selling the same keys multiple times...

Anyways, your choice if you choose to risk it
Old 11-10-2009, 03:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

I guess I won't risk it anymore then, thanks for all the info saike.
I also read somewhere today that they "steal" the keys somehow.
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Some who bought CD keys for Modern Warfare 2 - no physicial media in other words - from import resellers have seen their access to the game vanish, as Activision has apparently asked Valve to ban such keys.

A poster in Valve's official forums complained that a key he bought through G2Play.net no longer lets him open and play the game. A Valve representative, BurtonJ, called such sales "illegitimate" and confirmed the ban. He recommends buying a full version of the game - maybe through Steam? Hint hint.

VE3D, which spotted the thread, points out that calling the key sales "illegitimate" is not entirely true. The keys are typically sold legally in Asia and other territories and while game makers try to ban it, their ability to do so is not absolute. Of course, the interest is clear: The keys being sold cost less than the full game, and both publisher and digital distributor stateside want to protect their bottom lines.

Valve's only advice to gray-market key buyers is ask for a refund and get a "legitimate" copy of the game.
thought id post an example, so yes it is a risk but prices are lower
Old 11-22-2009, 05:26 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to marksman_sniper

That sucks, those poor bastards who bought 'illegitimate' keys now won't get a refund.
Everybody must get stoned! - Bob Dylan
Keep Walking -Johnnie Walker
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 AM

Default G2play.net

I bought on that site l4d2 cut and batlefild 2 without any problems..I saw that they have many retail games from box..