VGRequirements Forums  

Go Back   VGRequirements Forums > News, System Requirements, Deals, Trades, and Giveaways. > PC Hardware & Software News

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM

Exclamation Call of Duty sequel confirmed for 2010 "hinting at a cold war setting"

Advertisement

Quote:
After Activision announced better-than-expected earnings today, its executives held a conference call with analysts. During the call, they made the not-so-surprising revelation that the company is planning to release new installments in its tent-pole game franchises.

World War II has (finally) ended for Call of Duty. What's next?

"In [calendar year] 2010, Activision Publishing is expected to release strong, innovative new titles," Activision Publishing president Mike Griffith told analysts. "The diversified lineup will include titles based on the best selling franchises including Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, Shrek, [and] Spider-Man."

While the Shrek game will be a tie-in with the forthcoming computer-animated film Shrek Forever After, little is known about the new Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, or Spider-Man titles. However, the next Spider-Man movie won't be released until 2011 at the earliest, meaning that the next game, first revealed in August, will likely be comic-book based.

That said, there is a fair amount of information--and even more speculation--about the next Call of Duty game. In May, an employee at Call of Duty: World at War developer Treyarch accidentally revealed that "Call of Duty 7" was already "in production," presumably for the series' traditional holiday release window.

The Treyarch report closely followed a rumor that had the studio's music department looking for "Vietnam War-era tunes, as well as Cuban, African, and Soviet Union music"--hinting at a Cold War setting. Though unconfirmed, that came several months after Treyarch's senior producer told the UK edition of Official Xbox Magazine that Call of Duty: World at War would be the last game in the series to be set during World War II. That transition has already been made by franchise founder Infinity Ward, whose second present-day game, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, ships Tuesday.

There's also the possibility the new Call of Duty game due in 2010 may not be a direct sequel. At a press event that preceded June's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said his company was looking to expand the series into other genres. In March 2008, he publicly mused about the possibility of a massively multiplayer title based in the Call of Duty universe.
Well looks like they're making new CoD's every year, heh

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6239258...dlines;title;6

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Wonder if it will fail on the PC as miserably as MW2.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM

Yeah, I read about this. It's quite silly I'd say. They better bring something new to the table rather than Modern Warfare/WW2. I think they should call it, "Call of Duty 7: Cold War." Political Warfare ftw :P All silliness aside, they shouldn't bring new CoDs franchise so often.

Last edited by Goliath77; 11-08-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 PM

well cod6 started having problems a few days ago with stores breaking the release date. mainly in NE US but a vietnam/ cold war one would be cool, cold war would probably be more stealthy and strategic then a wild battle like in MWF
Old 11-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mutte

I hope Treyarch doesn't screw up again.
PSN ID: MutteBE
StarCraft II (EU): Mutte.806
Old 11-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutte View Post
I hope Treyarch doesn't screw up again.
ya that would be unfortunate if they did
Old 11-08-2009, 06:45 PM

I thought Treyarch did a wonderful job with WaW. Anyways, if anything, it's going to be about tactical espionage and Spec Ops if it in fact it is Cold War. Now if so, I wonder how multiplayer would work out... Oh yes, and I hope they don't make the CoD franchise a MMORPG..... that will just make me so angry. The world is so unproductive as it is lol, no need for another MMORPG, Huxley has the military MMORPG covered. Besides, Activision-Blizzard is pretty well covered, especially with Blizzard releasing a new, mystery MMORPG soon.

Last edited by Goliath77; 11-08-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath77 View Post
I thought Treyarch did a wonderful job with WaW. Anyways, if anything, it's going to be about tactical espionage and Spec Ops if it in fact it is Cold War. Now if so, I wonder how multiplayer would work out...
I enjoyed the single player and Nazi zombies but i felt they did poorly on the MP, but that's only my opinion. As for a Cold War Era they would probably have most of the usual MP game-play types along with maybe some variations of sabotage and search and destroy, more tactical modes as well. still thinking about what I'd like better Cold War vs Vietnam. IMO cold war would be a interesting path for COD to take but it may lose some of its fans due to the fact that cold war was a lot espionage and politics then the shoot em up style like the usual COD. Vietnam would also be interesting because the Vietcong used a lot of guerrilla tactics and there would be surprises around every corner (somewhat similar to the Japanese in W@W) so it would be a lot more intense, Though I'm sure that they can make a great game despite which path they choose to take.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:06 AM

Cant wait for CoD: NAM!

Spoiler