VGRequirements Forums

VGRequirements Forums (http://forums.vgrequirements.info/index.php)
-   General Forum (http://forums.vgrequirements.info/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A+ Certification Test (http://forums.vgrequirements.info/showthread.php?t=9864)

The Pie Fairy 11-06-2010 01:28 AM

A+ Certification Test

Im planning to take the A+ Certification Test when that time comes around.....what stuff should i study? and where can i study?

Mutte 11-06-2010 04:07 PM

Well, pretty much anything related to IT.
I'm studying Elektronics-ICT (in my country) and we also get to take an A+ certification Test.
I have no idea if there's anything similar in the US.

The Pie Fairy 11-06-2010 04:41 PM

All i know right now it has Software, Hardware, security and networking......and that it costs $150, other then that i dont know anything

Megazell 11-13-2010 04:06 AM

If you lived in NYC I would tell you to take a free course with some of the Library groups to help you.

The best book to get would be "ComptiaŽ A+ 2009 In Depth" by Jean Andrews ISBN: - 1435454898.

That book series was the standard for what I use before I retired.

You need to know Windows Vista *vomits*, Windows XP and Windows 2000 (lightly) for both parts of the exam.

If you're new to PC repair and maintenance, I would suggest letting all of your friends knows to dump their old and malfunctioning PCs and Laptops your way. The best way to learn is to do.

Another good way to learn is to volunteer at a non-profit as an intern so that you can get some hands-on.

If you are not new to PC repair and maintenance - most you have to do is learn the correct terms and 'proper procedure' (command lines).

Once you're done studying you should take some practice test. Some libraries have free test taking software that you can use on their machines like 'Visual CertExam Suite' which normally you would have to pay for.

Good luck and hope this helps ya,
Megazell

The Pie Fairy 11-13-2010 11:52 AM

I am kinda new to it, (started learning starting of the school year), but im the top student in the class..... lowest grade on a test i got was a 98.5% highest was 102%... i will look up the book, im good with windows XP, Windows vista i just hate but im using it right now and windows 2000..... what parts do i have to know?

Megazell 11-13-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pie Fairy (Post 23425)
I am kinda new to it, (started learning starting of the school year), but im the top student in the class..... lowest grade on a test i got was a 98.5% highest was 102%... i will look up the book, im good with windows XP, Windows vista i just hate but im using it right now and windows 2000..... what parts do i have to know?

Hardware, Operating Systems, Procedure and Protocol when dealing with customers, Form Factors, Power Supplies, Motherboards, Processors, Upgrading Memory, Hard Drives, Installing and Supporting I/O Devices, Multimedia Devices and Mass Storage, PC Maintenance and Trouble Shooting Strategies, Installing Windows XP, Vista and 2000 (possible errors alone the way and where are they coming from), Maintaining and Optimizing Windows, Fixing and Solving Windows Problems by error messages alone, Networking, Security Practices and Essentials, Laptop/Netbook and Printer support.

I do volunteer work at a children's center and I help all of the kids that get their working papers and that show interest in PCs get their A+ certification. It's an informal thing, nothing structured but the kids that always pass are those that practice what they read or learn on the fly over and over again.

The Pie Fairy 11-13-2010 02:05 PM

Time for virtual OS's =P