PDA

View Full Version : Loudness Equalization

Coodoo1134
11-09-2009, 03:48 AM
I realized this a while ago, and I'm wondering what you guys think about it.

Vista uses something called Loudness Equalization. I don't know if it's on by default, but I have it on. What it does is it equalizes louder and softer sounds to about the same level of noise, which I admit is very handy just watching videos or listening to music. However, I realized, after switching from one computer to the next, that I could hear footsteps for a certain game a lot louder using Vista than I did using XP. I also recall turning in a school project that required me to edit and compile a series of audio files. On my computer it sounded great, but at school, some parts turned out to be too loud or too soft. It was pretty bad.

So, do you guys think I should turn it off or leave it on?

If you use Vista and have no idea what I'm talking about, test it out yourself. (Sound > Speakers Properties > Enhancements)

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsvista/articles/450038.aspx

Lopez
11-09-2009, 08:08 AM
It's not exactly hard to toggle it on or off, I don't see why you wouldn't turn it on if you like using it, just turn it off when you do your editing. The loudness may affect the quality of the sound you hear, whilst with the editing it won't affect the overall sound, you may think it sounds different to what it actually sounds like.