PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Turn based Strategy games?

-{NBD)- killawolf
10-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Orson Scott Card has had some interesting opinions, to say the least. But we can probably all agree on the need more games like Civilization, which is a sentiment he shared with the Big Download.

"I like the turn-based strategy game and there aren't very many of those made, and most of them are made badly," he said.

"Really Sid Meier is the only guy who does it reliably. And I wish more people would learn the lessons from the way he does it. Because I've looked at some of the other offerings and they emphasize the tedium and the fog of war."

"You have to fight these endless battles. And I don't want to play war. I want to play Civilization. And Civilization, you have to be able to fight, you have to be prepared to fight, but the main business of Civilization is being civilized - creating stuff, building. That's what I want to do."

Card has been involved in the video game industry for a long time now, having contributed to The Dig, The Secret of Monkey Island, and more recently, Shadow Complex. He is, of course, best known for his work on Ender's Game, and his controversial political views.

As for turn-based strategy, there's Civilization IV: Colonization and Civilization Revolution, both of which came out last year. Either one is apt to keep your busy for a very long time.
For those of you that do in fact read books, you might recognize this name as the author of the Enders series but i feel compelled to agree that I don't think there are many GOOD turn based strategy games. Not to say I don't like RTS games but its all ways fun to switch around every now and then.

Goliath77
10-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Civilization is a great TBS game. Loved #4, the leaders and almost everything about it. Fallout 1 and 2 are turn based games, so for any Fallout fans looking to get some nice TBSG, that's an idea.

-{NBD)- killawolf
10-27-2009, 07:55 PM
never knew fallout 1 and 2 were turn based i guess ill have to check those out

heyzeus11
10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
but ive seen videos of fallout 1 and 2, and they didnt look turn based

($W3)HUMM3R
10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age is the only turn based game i've ever played and liked. :D (If turn based is what i think it is. :P)

-{NBD)- killawolf
10-27-2009, 08:29 PM
now I'm confused

Balious
10-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Turn based can be games like final fantasy where in battle you take turns hitting each other. Fallout 1 & 2 near enough has the same battles as a final fantasy tactics but way better. Jagged Alliance 1 & 2 also are turn based.

I used to know lots of turn based games but my mind has been slipping atm.

zeek
10-28-2009, 02:35 AM
I love turn based, but I think my favorite of the new turn based games ... well kind of, would be fire emblem, they were great, they had to do with progressing and turn basing

jamie1992
10-30-2009, 03:24 AM
X-Com Enemy Unknown is simply the best TBS IMO, TFTD and Apoc are also very good games. :)